The Cotabato Regional and Medical Center by virtue of Republic Act No. 8316 dated June 30, 1997 entitled “An Act Upgrading the Cotabato Regional Hospital in Cotabato City into a Medical Center to be known as the Cotabato Regional and Medical Center, and Appropriating Funds Therefore”
CRMC has at present, pending implementation of the above mentioned Republic Act on increasing its bed capacity to four hundred (400) beds because of budgetary appropriation.
CRMC is a tertiary government hospital under the Department of Health, regulated by the Civil Service Commission in terms of Human Resources, the Department of Budget and Management agency responsible for the management and development of its financial transactions, and the Commission on Audit in-charge of the general accountabilities of the hospital.
In 1916, the Cotabato Hospital was established as a 12-bed civilian hospital in a residential house at the Municipality of Cotabato. The hospital was transferred to PC Hill and was funded by the Insular Government. On October 7, 1917, Dr.Vicente Kierulf became the head of the hospital. He was the first civilian District Health Officer of the Province of Cotabato.
In the passing of years, the 12-bed capacity hospital grew to 30, 75, and 150 beds. The hospital has been closed in 1942 after a series of burning and in 1944 when American Forces started bombing the town of Cotabato. In February 1973 Secretary Gatmaitan issued DOH-DO No. 60-B, s.1973 upgrading Cotabato Hospital to a 200 bed capacity and accredited it as a Tertiary, Teaching, and Training hospital.
In 1975, Sec. Gatmaitan approved the acquisition of a new site with an area of 101,611 sq. meters (10 hectares) from the Canizares Estate. Construction of new buildings were started in 1980 and completed and occupied in November 3, 1983.
By virtue of RA 8316, the hospital was again upgraded into a 400-bed capacity medical center and named Cotabato Regional and Medical Center and was approved as Level IV Tertiary, Teaching, and Training hospital.
Through the years the actual implementing be dwas 350 beds to 375 beds with the same budgetary allocation for 200 beds. In 1994, due to increasing demands in health services, the CRMC underwent health facility improvement with the construction of an annex where the emergency room, orthopedic ward, operating and recovery rooms, and delivery rooms are located.
In 2010, the 25 bed Mental Health Unit Building for in-patient and out-patient mental health services was completed. Further health facility enhancement was accomplished by the construction of Oxygen Generating Plant and the DILANGALEN Cancer Care Center. The Emergency Room was expanded to 35-stretcher bed in 2011, with centralized air conditioning.
In May 2014, the Sec.Enrique T. Ona Wing with 25 single (standard and suite) rooms and an elevator shaft was completed. With the AO 2012-0012 dated July 18, 2012 DOH new classification of hospitals and other health facilities in the Philippines, the Cotabato Regional and Medical Center is classified as a Level III Teaching and Training Hospital.
THE COTABATO REGIONAL & MEDICAL CENTER THRU 98 YEARS (1916 – 2014)
- In 1916, the Cotabato Hospital was established as a 12-bed civilian hospital in a residential house at the Municipality of Cotabato.
October 7, 1917 - the hospital transferred to PC Hill Hospital funded by the Insular Government.
Dr. Vicente Kierulf - head of the hospital - the first civilian District Health Officer of the Province of Cotabato.
In the passing of years, the 12-bed capacity hospital grew to 30, 75, 150 beds.
It has undergone a series of closures:
- 1942 after it was burned
- 1944 American forces started bombing the town of Cotabato.
Successions of 9 Chiefs of Hospital
1920 – 1941
- Dr. Roque
- Dr. Tolentino
- Dr. Penalosa
- Dr. C. Deles
- Dr. D. Lacuna
- Dr. V. Capistrano
- Dr. B dela Fuente
- Dr. E de Jesus
- Dr. Leonardo de Guzman
- Secretary Gatmaitan issued DOH –DO No. 60-B, s. 1973
- Cotabato Hospital accredited as Tertiary, Teaching and Training hospital
- 200 bed capacity
- Named Cotabato Regional Hospital
In 1975, Sec. Gatmaitan approved the acquisition of a new site with an area of 101,611 sq. meters from the Canizares Estate. Construction of new buildings were started in 1980 and completed and occupied in November 3, 1983.